I have a confession to make. I’ve actually never made this recipe before (gasp!). But I swear it will be delicious! I had an extra frozen pie crust in my freezer and some blueberries and I thought, “Hey, why don’t I make a blueberry pie?” So, today’s recipe will be a Blueberry Streusel Pie.
Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits. They’re one of the healthiest fruits to eat since they have a low sugar count. You can use blueberries in so many ways. I love to put them in my cereal, use them in my overnight oatmeal and mix them with greek yogurt.
Like I mentioned above, I’m using a pre-made crust I bought. Now, I know some of you may be thinking “She’s using a store bought pie crust???” The truth is, buying a pie crust from the grocery store saves you time. There are a lot of people who are too busy to make a pie crust, so why not save a little time? People got things to do, people to see! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with using a store-bought pie crust. Of course, if you do have the time, go ahead and make the crust from scratch 🙂 Don’t worry, I’ll be making pies with homemade crusts soon enough.
This blueberry pie was inspired by a recipe I found on Pinterest here. For the topping, I decided to add cinnamon to make a streusel instead. I just think cinnamon is always a great addition for a topping, especially on a blueberry pie. I just love the smell of cinnamon. It’s a perfect spice to use during the winter months. And the streusel is sooo easy to make. It only takes like 2 minutes! You could use it as a topping for many other things besides pie, like muffins, coffee cake, even ice cream! Just today, I topped my vanilla bean ice cream with leftover streusel. As you can see, I like to be creative when it comes to toppings!
I also like that this recipe uses lemon juice and zest in the pie filling. Lemons and blueberries always pair well together. Like milk and cookies! But we’re not making those today. I’ll save that recipe for a rainy day.
I have another confession: I tried to cut the perfect triangle of a pie slice to get that perfect pie picture, but it kinda just fell apart….sad moment 🙁 Gotta work on my pie slicing skills.
This pie was pretty easy to make. Having a pre-made pie crust made it even more easier! You just make the filling, pour it in the pie crust, add the topping and voila!, it’s ready for the oven! Basically just 3 steps. So you’ll have some extra time on your hands to catch up on your favorite episode on Netflix!
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 4 cups of fresh blueberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed chunks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1. Thaw and bake the pie crust according to directions.
- 2. For the pie filling, mix together the cornstarch, lemon zest and sugar in a small bowl.
- 3. Add the blueberries to a large bowl. Add the sugar/cornstarch mixture and lemon juice to the blueberries and toss gently to coat. Let sit about 20 min.
- 4. Meanwhile, make the streusel: Melt the butter in a small pot over the stove or in a microwave safe bowl.
- 5. While butter is melting, combine flour, brown sugar, regular sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the melted butter and mix until combined.
- 6. Once the 20 min. are up, pour blueberry filling into pie crust. Sprinkle the streusel on top.
- 7. Bake at 375 for 1 hour.
- 8. Most important step: Top with vanilla bean ice cream!