It’s gettin’ close to fall y’all!
Actually, it’s still pretty warm here in sunny SoCal (big surprise there) but I’ve been getting in the mood for some cozy fall foods! For the past few days, I’ve been glued to Pinterest for some delicious fall recipes that I want to make for you guys and put my own twist on it!
For the fall season, it’s always about the squashes: Acorn squash, spaghetti squash, yellow squash and of course, pumpkin! They make meals taste so rich and they’re super good for you!
Even though it’s still 80 degrees outside, I just couldn’t wait any longer to make a fall dish. Besides, it’s already the middle of September!
Earlier this week, I took a trip to the grocery store just to buy fall ingredients. And for the first time, I bought acorn squash. Acorn squash can be cooked similar to spaghetti squash. You can roast it in the oven and eat it as is or create a puree out of it (like I did for this recipe). Super easy!
Today I’m showing you guys a recipe using acorn squash. This recipe is cozy, delicious and will fill you right up. This is the perfect dish to indulge in after a long day of hard work.
The puree of the acorn squash sauce brightens up the whole dish and adds a richness that everyone will love. The Italian sausage adds that saltiness to the dish which pairs perfect with the smooth, richness of the sauce and the tortellini.
The next time you feel like a fall pasta dish, this one is sure to please your appetite!
Happy fall, y’all!
- 1lb Buitoni 3-cheese tortellini
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds scooped out
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Fresh oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 and season the squash with salt & pepper. Roast the squash cut side down for 30 min.
- While squash is in the oven, add some olive oil to a large saucepan and add minced garlic.
- Cook for 2-3 min.
- Next, add onion and cook until translucent (about-5-7 minutes).
- Add the sausage in with the onions and garlic.
- Once the squash is done roasting, let it cool, then scoop out the squash and transfer it to a blender. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable stock to thin it out and blend until smooth.
- Once sausage is fully cooked, drain the meat/onion mixture onto a paper towel and set aside.
- Using the same saucepan, add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the squash puree, vegetable stock, heavy cream, parmesan, garlic powder, salt & pepper and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 min.
- While your sauce is simmering, cook the tortellini according to package instructions.
- Add the tortellini to the sauce and stir to coat.
- Serve in cute bowls and garnish with fresh oregano!