Everyones’ favorite lunch combo that’s sure to make you smile
I got the perfect recipe for today’s post. Homemade Tomato Basil soup with Grilled Cheese! Everyone’s favorite soup and sandwich! It’s definitely the right time to make a big bowl of this soup because it’s cold outside! It’s only like 30 degrees but if you’re from California like me, it feels like 2 degrees.
There’s nothing like a nice hot bowl of tomato soup and grilled cheese on a day like this. It’s just such a comforting meal. It’s one of those classic meals that you just need to make during those cold months.
One of the best ingredients in this soup that makes it so good is the heavy cream. Using heavy cream in any kind of soup is one of the best ways to take your soup from good to amazing! And what better way to pair that creamy tomato soup with a grilled cheese? You gotta have a grilled cheese whenever you have tomato soup. It’s a food rule. The best part of this meal is dipping your sandwich into the soup. Kids will love this part, too! From the creamy tomato flavor with the ooey gooey cheese, it’s a mouthful of deliciousness.
To get the perfect grilled cheese, you want to make sure that the cheese is completely melted and nice and gooey. No one wants a half melted cheese slice. No bueno! Of course, you’ll also want to make sure your bread is a nice golden brown. If you get those 2 steps right, you’ve got yourself a perfect grilled cheese.
Don’t you wanna bite into that?
Today, there are tons of grilled cheese combinations you can make. But not all of them go with tomato soup. So I’m sticking with the classic today! I think this is one of my dad’s favorite lunches to make. He would use the canned tomato soup, though (Shhh, don’t tell anyone!). But he always made the perfect grilled cheese!
If it’s a little chilly outside wherever you are, making this will sure to make you feel warm and cozy and will bring a smile to your face. 🙂
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ cup Chicken Stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 small Fresh Basil leaves
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices Kraft cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat a large pan with olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Puree the onions and garlic with the chopped tomatoes in a blender then add back to pan.
- Add tomato paste, chicken stock, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Add in the half and half or heavy cream and simmer for an additional 10-15 min.
- Top with basil and parmesan cheese.
- Pair it with a grilled cheese and enjoy!
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet on medium heat. Once butter is melted place one slice of bread in the skillet. Add your two slices of cheese, then the other bread slice on top. After 2-3 minutes, flip your sandwich (make sure your bread is golden brown) and add 1 more tbsp of butter and heat the other side of your bread.
- And always make sure your cheese is FULLY melted!
- Serve with tomato soup and enjoy!